Saturday, February 12, 2011

Eva's Fever Blister Breakout=1 week of misery

On saturday Eva wasn't acting her normal self and wouldn't eat.  That night she came down with a fever and said her mouth hurt.  I figured it was her throat and sent her to bed.  In the middle of the night she needed more medicine, was miserable, and her top lip was a little swollen.  I still thought it was her throat and fever.  
She woke up miserable and we could see a few blisters on her lip.  We took her into Instacare (hate that place) after a 2 1/2  hour wait with all the kids and a miserable sick little girl, they said she had fever blisters and tonsillitis.  They gave a prescription and said put neosporn on the blisters.   That night (3am) her fever got up to 103 and she was already on Tylenol and Motrin so we gave her a bath to cool her down. 

These were taken on day 3 of blisters and also day 3 of no food and hardly any water (only a sip after choking down medicine).  Still fevering and miserable with pain.  I called her pediatrician and got her started on the cold sore medicine (anti-viral) 

Day 4-Getting panicked because she is the same, no food, fever and miserable+pain.  This is the night I almost took her to the doctor but Jared gave her a blessing and she seemed a little better. We figured by this day antibiotics were a waste and the fever only came from this horrible fever blister outbreak.
Day 5-  - same-verry worried-no food, fever, and lots of pain!  She has to be getting dehydrated.  I was hopeful though because she showed signs of an appetite.
See the blister on her tongue and above her lip.  They were all over!

Day 6- she seemed much better. She woke up with an appetite but got a hold of a salty cracker which hurt really bad and was afraid of food the rest of the day.  That night I showed her how to eat a piece of toast without touching her lips and it worked!  She ate it all gone! Talk about relief!  The next day she was still really careful and didn't eat very much but she was eating.  By Day 8 she was almost back to her normal self.  Her lips will still be sore for at least another week.  I just hope if she gets a fever blister again it's just one like normal not her whole lip!

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

That is SOO sad :( I'm glad she's all better. I would have been freaking out too