Sunday, December 20, 2009

Sunday Before Christmas


Here it is the Sunday before Christmas. This is one of my favorite Sundays of the year. Church usually revolves around Christ and the best musical numbers are played. Today was no exception. Nursery went rather smooth today and the girls almost lasted through sacrament meeting. I'm just glad Jared so willingly takes them out so I can just sit and listen and feel the spirit. One thing that's been on my mind this season came from the visiting teaching message in the Ensign:
“Disciples of Christ throughout all ages of the world have been distinguished by their compassion. … In the end, the number of prayers we say may contribute to our happiness, but the number of prayers we answer may be of even greater importance. Let us open our eyes and see the heavy hearts, notice the loneliness and despair; let us feel the silent prayers of others around us, and let us be an instrument in the hands of the Lord to answer those prayers” (“Happiness, Your Heritage,” Liahona and Ensign, Nov. 2008, 119, 120)
It also went along with the message from the First presidency:
President Henry B. Eyring
"It helps to see the kindness of others at Christmastime. How many times have you gone to leave a gift on a doorstep, hoping not to be noticed, only to find more than one unmarked gift already there? Have you felt, as I have, the impression to help someone only to find that what you were inspired to give was exactly what someone needed at that very moment? That is a wonderful assurance that God knows all of our needs and counts on us to fill the needs of others around us."

And then even the speaker at church today told of his own experience of when his family was struggling and not looking forward to Christmas until one night he found something on his doorstep that changed his Christmas around. It made me remember of my own experience just a few years ago when Jared was deployed and we found a Christmas ham at our door. Also my sister-in-law put my name in for a soldier tree and while I was gone my mom unloaded the stuff under my tree. Jared was so relieved because he never got a chance to shop for us. I couldn't believe how generous those people were. It made our Christmas so magical. Somehow they got the perfect gift for Juel and me! We also received a few cards with money in them. I've never felt more love from strangers and my Heavenly Father than that Christmas. I don't think any of them realized what a difference they made. And if they can make a huge difference in my life then it makes me wonder if I can make a difference in someone else's life. I hope and pray I can be in tuned to the spirit and help make someone else's Christmas a little better and this will also be my new goal for the upcoming year. I am so grateful for what I have and for the gospel. Especially for our savior and what he did for me. I love this magical time of year and I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas!

5 comments:

Doty Family said...

Beautifully said! Have a very Merry Christmas, yourself!!

~ Stacie ~ said...

Oh Heidi I just have to say that I LOVE the picture of Anna on the side bar. She's SMILING!!!!So cute Beautiful Girls!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting this!I've really been struggling with some things lately and I really needed to hear what you posted, thank you so much! It really helped get me more in the Christmas spirit. You're a sweet person and I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas! You have such a cute little family!

Aaron and Rosa Lee said...

Very good message. So so true. We were blessed this Christmas by strangers as well. 2 days before Christmas the service missionaries came with 2 huge bags of gifts and a box of food Christmas dinner. We hope to pay it forward next year.

Aaron and Rosa Lee said...

Very good message. So so true. We were blessed this Christmas by strangers as well. 2 days before Christmas the service missionaries came with 2 huge bags of gifts and a box of food Christmas dinner. We hope to pay it forward next year.