Wednesday, December 10, 2008

In Loving Memory...

I found out today that my last bishop and seminary teacher passed away. I am saddened by this and my heart goes out to his family especially during this Christmas season. I know he has suffered these last several years and I'm glad I know he's in a better place. I came across this letter I wrote to him last year for a book that was being put together and thought I would share as I know many of you knew him and had him for a teacher.

February 28, 2008

Dear Bishop Hess,

It is hard for me to put into words how much you have touched my life. My Freshman and Sophomore year I had Sister Farnsworth for seminary and I loved her but I could not wait until I was a Junior so I could have you for my teacher. I remember my sister, Jenny, would rave about you and have so much fun in your class. She was right. I had you for my Junior and Senior year. I remember having a lot of fun. You really are a talented teacher and you can make any situation, serious or not, even in a room full of rowdy kids, a fun learning environment. I remember playing the famous Top Dog game. I can't wait until my kids are a little older so we can make that a tradition in our home.
Not only do I remember the fun we had, but I grew so much spiritually through those years. That was when we studied the Book of Mormon and the D&C and Church History. I grew a great love for those two books and that was the first time I read them all the way through. I did it to letter but I grew to love reading the scriptures and sometimes I couldn't put them down. I couldn't go to bed without reading them. Looking back now it seems like I was so young and I wondered how my testimony grew so much then. I will never forget one day we talked about Joseph Smith and the first vision. The Lord bore testimony to me that day that it was true. I still have that strong testimony and I often think of that day in class and all the feelings I had. I have a great love and respect for Joseph Smith now. I still love the scriptures to this day. Without the great teachers like you in my life I think I would be lost.
I want to thank you for being the best seminary teacher a person could have. I don't think you know how many lives you have touched and left testimonies of the scriptures and the gospel with. I'm glad I had the opportunity of spending that precious time in my life with you in seminary. Thanks again Bishop for all you did and still do for me!
Love, Heidi Moody

1 comment:

Heather said...

Wow, I hadn't heard yet. Brother Hess was truely the best. I had him all but one year and learned so much. I still think of him everytime I open my scriptures and see little glued in papers or my marking for scripture mastery's. I'm so glad he no longer has to suffer.