Then they decorated and ate cupcakes. Everyone had such a good time. It was so worth the work it took but it also made me realize why I'd rather pay melinda to make our birthday cakes! It is pretty difficult and takes a lot of patients!
Sunday, February 7, 2010
A Lesson in Fondant
We wanted to get my friend Melinda to come and teach the young women about fondant but I learned that probably would happen since she works the same nights that we have young women's. We were just going to let them decorate cupcakes but I really wanted to let them play with fondant, so I made three cakes and invited my sister-in-law over to help me try to figure out fondant. I make three batches of the marshmallow recipe and was pretty tired of kneading. I made one batch the night before but it went hard for some reason. I started to roll it out for a cake and it was a mess. It stuck to everything. So I got frustrated and decided to just make colors out of it, which required more kneading. I took some shortening with me and we were able to roll out the colors out on the counters and let the girls decorate the cakes. I thought they did a very good job! They still got to feel and taste the fondant. Hopefully next time I'll be able to show them how to make it and cover a cake with it. This is what their groups came up with. 


Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
They turned out pretty good. I actually just took a fondant class last week and had a blast! It's not something I will do a ton with, but I think I will try and do on special occassions. you have to keep it covered or it dries out and goes hard. But yes, lots of kneading. We used a kitchen aid and that helped. So until I get a Kitchen aid, I really don't know how much I will be trying!! Good job though to try it out!
that really was SUCH a fun activity! so grateful to have in there with me!
These turned out so cute, and I love the idea for young womens. I couldnt think of what to do for the next activity, thanks!
Post a Comment