Sunday, August 30, 2009

Cornfest 2009


After couple days and many, many hours of work, we survived another year! Barely! I'm still here to blog about it so here we go! First off my sister Jenny couldn't make and for a very good reason! She welcomed her baby boy Titan late Friday night. Congrats Jenny! We are so happy for you! So I want to add a lot for her because I know she really wanted to be here. We started out way more unprepared than ever! That morning we didn't have any food ready including no shucked corn, no tables and chairs were up, & no signs were up. The only thing we got done the day before was get the big corn circus tent up for shade and we only managed that with some help from a customer. I saw our first customer of the day stop by at 6:50 a.m.! Lucky for me, still in my jammies, dad was out there to help them. Then we got another at 7:30. I thought we were in trouble since we were so unprepared and no one showed up to help until after 8:00. We usually have lines forming around 9:00. But it started out way slower than it usually does. We still got a good crowed but not until closer to 10:00. This year we all wore our green shirts from the family reunion that were the perfect green and the women got to wear some darling apron's that even had our names on them. I thought we looks so good and people notices because with all the grandkids there were about 35-40 of us there. Our extra large family really stood out! Dad was saying all week that we would sell out of corn and he was right. At 3:30 we sold our last bag of corn. We had some melons left over and very few tomatoes and peaches. A new addition to our little market was dad's fresh crop of wheat. I don't ever remember him harvesting his wheat but my oldest sister remembers. He's had some very old wheat sitting in a small silo behind their house. I guess he checked it for the first time in many years and decided it had gone bad. So being the farmer that he is took that bad wheat and planted, grew, and harvested it. He had it cleaned and bags and we ate a loaf of bread made out of it and it was delicious! Now he can refill the silo and he has plenty for the family to can and is selling some. Anyways back to the corn. We made some money from our hard work at the bake sell to start planning another fun family reunion which is my turn to plan so yea! I think I have the greatest family ever! We work so well together and I guess being raised on the farm has helped! I can't believe all of my in-laws come to help every year too! I love you all!



One of the two long corn lines.
Jared making Hot corn on the cob and Navajo Tacos. It's his favorite job!

Sold around 400 ears of hot corn on the cob and thousands of dozens of fresh corn.


The best bakesale in town!

Juel and his buddy Chase playing legos. This didn't last long because they got put to work and they loved it! They helped customers get their corn and they were paid some tips they can buy more legos with! Good job boys!
Good thing we set up our swing set! The grandkids loved to play on it.

3 comments:

Doty Family said...

I wanted to come up there so bad!! I asked Stacie when it was, but I already had a baby shower that afternoon that I was in charge of. By the time all was said and done, it was just a crazy day! I have never been up to the Corn Fest!!! Next year! It looks like you guys had fun! Yeah for Jenny! New babies are the best!

~ Stacie ~ said...

WOW, you guys were busy! But it was all worth it I'll bet!

Brian and Jenny said...

Thanks Heidi for all the details. I sure did miss all the craziness again, but wouldn't change what I got instead. He's a keeper. Maybe next year......